The gifts of limitation


                    

John O'Connor



 "Art is possible when the imposed limitations are not so cramping as to preclude all initiative; and it actually begins only when the limitations are not only understood and accepted, but are perceived as definite and positive opportunities for free spontaneous self-expression. Walls shut out possibilities, but they no less truly create possibilities. Without walls, one is indeed free, - to spread oneself out thin. With walls, a dam or a channel is created, which permits one's energy to accumulate pressure or to concentrate in a given direction."

Curt John Ducasse 

fr. "Philosophy of Art"

 

John O’Connor

 

 

Limits have their benefits. When I think of how often I don't know where to start with something - say, Life - what to be or do or where to go?It turns out that limitations are helpful. I can't invent, but I can follow directions, I'm not good at math, but I can take a decent photograph, I don't have a car, but I've got roller-skates - the options narrow considerably. 


Is it possible that not having what we want, or not quite all we need, or simply not being what or where we want is the best incentive, drive, impetus, inspiration, etc. to get us moving?


I've been paralyzed by choice before, so I can appreciate certain limits. If someone were to say, "Write me a story." It would be difficult to know where to begin. But see what Dr. Suess did with the challenge to write a book using 50 or fewer words. Tight limits can bring the best work out of us.


Maybe the point is to see limitations as a benefit and a challenge. Instead of feeling pushed around or frustrated by the constricting circumstances, we need to look at what we do have and can use, instead of what we don't have. What can be made of this? 

 

Good question. I'll have to work on that.

 

 

 




Comments

  1. Great insights! I enjoy the idea of being both challenged and inspired forward by limitations. Is this how we avoid the 'existential crisis' so often discussed by Gen Xers and Millennials alike? A narrow gorge can channel water much more powerfully than a level, meandering plain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think we have the problem of not enough limitation - here in the West anyway. As my mom used to say, "A slightly underfed greyhound runs faster." We are better off when we have a barrier to push against. Do you think so?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the gifts of deprivation

Clouds

moon map 2